False Claims Act
OAG can bring court actions against those who violate the False Claims Act by making false claims to the District Government for the purpose of improperly obtaining or retaining government funds. Examples of False Claims Act violators include contractors and grantees who seek to have the District pay for work that was not fully or properly performed. Many of the District's False Claims Act recoveries are for Medicaid fraud. OAG may recover treble damages, civil penalties, and attorney’s fees for violations of the District’s False Claims Act, DC Code §§ 2-381.01 to 2-381.09.
Links to Selected False Claims Act Provisions
- Definitions Applicable to False Claims Act - DC Official Code § 2-381.01
- Violations, Damages, and Civil Penalties - DC Official Code § 2-381.02
- Government Prosecutions and Qui Tam Actions - DC Official Code § 2-381.03
- Whistleblower Protection - DC Official Code § 2-381.04
- Criminal Penalty for False Representation - DC Official Code § 2-381.09