The Domestic Violence & Special Victims Section consists of attorneys, advocates, and support staff comprising three teams that perform specialized functions.
Domestic Violence Team
- Represents survivors of intimate partner violence, family violence, sexual assault, and stalking in obtaining Civil Protection Orders (CPOs).
- Prosecutes violations of CPOs.
- Represents petitioners seeking Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs) to remove firearms from individuals that pose a significant risk of harm to themselves or others.
- Partners with other public and private agencies to staff the Domestic Violence Intake Center at D.C. Superior Court which serves as a single entry point for survivors of intimate partner violence, family violence, sexual assault, and stalking who are seeking legal protection.
Special Victims Team
- Handles juvenile prosecutions of sex offenses, domestic violence, and any crime against vulnerable victims.
- Handles adult prosecutions of indecent exposure.
- Partners with the multi-disciplinary team responsible for HOPE Court – a specialty court designed to offer alternatives to juveniles charged with crimes who are at risk of being sexually exploited.
- Provides victim specialists who offer victims of violent crime support throughout the court process and referrals for needed services.
Elder Abuse Team
- Represents Adult Protective Services in obtaining guardians and conservators for incapacitated, vulnerable adults who are being abused, neglected, or exploited, or are self-neglecting.
- Investigates and, through a Memorandum of Agreement with the United States Attorney’s Office, prosecutes financial exploitation of older or vulnerable adults.
Coordinated Community Response
The Domestic Violence & Special Victims Section also participates in a variety of interagency efforts to coordinate and improve the city’s response to crime victims. These efforts include:
- D.C. TROV (District’s Collaborative Training & Response for Older Victims)
- Elder Abuse Prevention Committee;
- Domestic Violence Fatality Review Board
- High Risk Domestic Violence Intervention Team
- VAN (Victim Assistance Network)
- SART (Sexual Assault Response Team)
- Multi-Disciplinary Team for child sexual abuse.
- D.C. Victim Hotline, 1-844-4HELPDC (844-443-5732)
- Department of Aging and Community Living
- Legal Aid Society
- Metropolitan Police Department – Domestic Violence Unit
- Metropolitan Police Department – Youth and Family Services Division
- SAFE (Survivors and Advocates for Empowerment)
- Safe Shores (D.C. Children’s Advocacy Center)
- United States Attorney’s Office (prosecutes adult domestic violence crimes)
- Victim Legal Network of DC