Victim Witness Specialists assigned to cases take a client centered approach and strive to protect their interest and safety. They may accompany victims to court, assist with preparing victim impact statements, or guide them through the criminal justice process.
The Victim Witness Assistance Unit provides support services to victims of violent crimes currently involved in the legal system in the District of Columbia. These crimes have been committed by juveniles or adults in cases where significant injuries were sustained from traffic-related offenses or indecent exposure cases. To assist victims return to a sense of normalcy, we provide short term counseling, support and assistance throughout the entire judicial process, and make referrals to collaborating agencies and organizations.
Crime Victim Compensation Program
The Crime Victim Compensation Program provides financial assistance to victims of violent crimes that qualify and may include medical expenses, counseling, or funeral expenses. The Office of the Attorney General does not process claims for financial assistance. Program funds are offered by the Crime Victim’s Compensation Fund through the Superior Court for the District of Columbia.
Under District of Columbia law, victims have rights to participate in the legal process. The law protects the victims and gives them their right to be heard.
Some victims of violent crime may require travel assistance to Court. When out of town victims are required to testify, their travel and lodging expenses will be covered. The VWAU assists victims with this process.
- Application for Crime Victims Compensation
- Did You Know?
- FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
- Trial Guidelines for Victims/Witnesses
- Restitution Rights
- Safety Tips
- Services Provided
- Victim Impact Statement
- Victim's Rights
- 受害人证人服务组 (Victim Witness Assistance Unit, translated in Mandarin)
For information, fun and games click the link below:
District of Columbia Resources
- Agency to report child sexual abuse
- Grief Counseling
- Counseling and Psychotherapy
- Crime Victim Compensation Program
- Agency to report child abuse and neglect
- Information for Internet safety and cyber-bullying
- Resource for National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- Resource for locating housing in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area
- Resource for locating local resources, toll free numbers and publications
- Resource for health, employment, training and community-based services
Crime Victim Information
- US Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime
- National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA)
- National Center for Victims of Crime
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- National Child Prevention Council
- Violence Against Women & Family Protection Office
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
Substance Abuse Assistance
Sexual Abuse/Assault Assistance
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
- Sexual Assault Response Advocates - Nationwide Hotline
- WEAVE Domestic Violence
Child Victims and Violent Crime Assistance
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Parents of Murdered Children
- National Center for Abused and Neglected Kids
- Families of Murder Victims
- National Children’s Advocacy Center