Legal Counsel Division
Office of the Attorney General
Salary range: $79,810 – $101,241
This position is in the collective bargaining unit represented by AFGE Local 1403 and you may be required to pay an agency service fee through direct payroll deduction.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Office of the Attorney General is seeking an Attorney-Advisor for the Legal Counsel Division (LCD). LCD provides legal advice to the Mayor, District agencies, officials and employees on a broad range of legal issues, legislation and regulations. LCD also provides legal advice to the Attorney General on sensitive and high priority matters, and is responsible for drafting legal opinions of the Attorney General. In addition, LCD performs legal reviews of all draft legislation introduced on the Mayor’s behalf, all draft rulemakings from the Executive Branch, and all Council-enrolled bills presented to the Mayor. LCD regularly advises on complex issues of constitutional law, statutory construction, the Home Rule Act, and other legal matters particular to the unique status of the District.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Performing extensive legal research and providing detailed oral or written advice to District officials and employees in the Office of the Attorney General, Executive Office of the Mayor and offices of the City Administrator and Deputy Mayors, District agencies, the Council of the District of Columbia, and the District of Columbia Courts with respect to legal issues that arise from the performance of official duties;
- Reviewing legal documents, including bills, regulations, and other issuances to determine whether they are legally sufficient and appropriate as to form, and drafting proposed language necessary to obviate objections to them;
- Drafting legislation and rulemakings;
- Preparing opinions, legal memoranda, letters, Office Orders, and other documents for the LCD Deputy’s or Attorney General’s signature; and
- Keeping abreast of judicial, agency, and other changes and interpretations regarding laws and regulations related to the District government.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate should have excellent legal research and writing skills, including at least 4 years of professional experience that is heavily focused on preparing briefs, legal memoranda or other legal writing involving difficult or sophisticated legal issues, or significant legislative and rulemaking experience.
The applicant must be able to: identify all legal and factual issues; identify controlling statutory, regulatory, and case authority applicable to each legal issue; prepare written work that is persuasive, thorough, well-organized, and well-reasoned and that is appropriate in length, style, and tone; prepare all written work in accordance with deadlines set by supervisors and clients; and have a demonstrated ability to effectively work with client agencies and colleagues. In addition, an understanding of District government and knowledge of constitutional, criminal, administrative or appropriations law is important.
ELIGIBILITY: The successful candidate must have a law degree and be an active member in good standing of the bar of any jurisdiction. If not a member of the District of Columbia Bar, the candidate must be sworn into the District of Columbia Bar within 360 days of his/her initial appointment with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia.
Please see attachment for more information.