Public Safety Division
Mental Health Section
Office of the Attorney General
Salary range: $61,491 - $79,275
This position is in the collective bargaining unit represented by AFSCME Local 2401 and you may be required to pay an agency service fee through direct payroll deduction.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) for the District of Columbia is seeking a Paralegal Specialist for the Public Safety Division, Mental Health Section. The successful candidate will possess strong organizational and time management skills, as well as attention to detail.
Experience with LexisNexis or Westlaw, scanners, copiers, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required. Prolaw experience is desirable.
Incumbent’s duties include:
- Providing assistance to attorneys with the preparation of various pleadings, the preparation of discovery materials, the preparation of subpoenas and court notices, requesting and obtaining necessary documents and filing/retrieving documents with the D.C. Superior Court.
- Maintaining case files, correspondence and covering the front desk.
- Maintaining and utilizing a variety of computer programs to include: Microsoft Office Suite, ProLaw, CaseFileXpress, CourtView and Credible.
- Preparing service documents and subpoena service requests.
- Drafting a variety of legal documents, including emergency petitions, petitions for civil commitment, written discovery requests and responses, proposed orders and various motions.
- Performing legal research, including search of statutes, regulations, legislative history, case law and other legal authorities applicable to civil commitment cases and guardianship cases.
- Handling sensitive and confidential information, subject to the attorney client privilege, the attorney work product privilege, and various agency privileges.
- Assisting the attorneys in the preparation of government and expert witnesses for probable cause hearings, revocation hearings and/or trial.
- Preparing trial notebooks, scheduling witness conferences, preparing witness vouchers and victims services referrals, summarizing deposition transcripts, as well as drafting legal documents and pleadings.
- Obtaining, preparing and organizing evidence and exhibits for trials/hearings, and other duties as required.
- Attending commission and court hearings/trials and assisting the attorneys as needed.
- Establishing and maintaining an effective system of monitoring and tracking cases to ensure compliance with all relevant deadlines.
- Identifying, defining, and analyzing operational problems, and posing options and alternatives to existing procedures.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Paralegal Certificate or law degree is desirable. Applicants must have at least four (4) years of Specialized Experience. Specialized Experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the position’s duties, and would include: work as a litigation paralegal in a law firm or government agency. To be creditable, at least one (1) year of specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: A law degree or Paralegal Certificate can be substituted for experience. However, in order to receive credit, applicants must submit official proof of education at the time of application.
TIME-IN-GRADE RESTRICTIONS: Time in grade restrictions must be met by the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
SUBMISSION OF RANKING FACTORS: The following ranking factors will be used in the evaluation process. All applicants MUST respond to the ranking factors by submitting responses in the relevant area provided on the DC2000 Employment Application. Please describe specific achievements, experience, education, training, etc. that demonstrates the degree to which you possess the job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities described in the ranking factors. The information given in response to the ranking factors should be complete and accurate to the best of your knowledge.
FAILURE TO RESPOND TO ALL RANKING FACTORS WILL ELIMINATE YOU FROM CONSIDERATION.
Please see attachment for more information.