Harmed by Wells Fargo? Here’s How to Get Help.

Last year, AG Racine announced that a 50-state coalition secured a settlement with Wells Fargo after the bank opened millions of unauthorized accounts and enrolled customers in services without their consent. This week, as part of that settlement, Wells Fargo launched a program to help harmed customers get the relief they deserve.


If you are a Wells Fargo customer, you may be eligible for compensation if:

  • Wells Fargo opened an unauthorized bank account or credit card for you without your consent or without fully informing you of the account details;
  • Wells Fargo opened a renters or life insurance policy for you without your consent;
  • You had an auto loan contract with Wells Fargo and were charged for collateral protection insurance;  
  • You had a Guaranteed Asset/Auto Protection (GAP) product on your auto loan contract with Wells Fargo and paid off your auto loan early or had your vehicle repossessed;
  • You applied for a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo and paid a fee for a rate lock extension that was requested between September 16, 2013 and February 28, 2017.

If you believe you could be eligible for compensation, you can find more information on Wells Fargo’s Consumer Redress Review Program website: https://www.wellsfargo.com/commitment/redress/

You can also contact the appropriate Wells Fargo Customer Care Team for help with additional questions at the following phone numbers:

  • Unauthorized Accounts/Improper Retail Sales Practices: 1-844-931-2273
  • Improper Renters and Life Insurance Referrals: 1-855-853-9638
  • Force-Placed Collateral Protection Auto Insurance ("CPI"): 1-888-228-9735
  • Guaranteed Asset/Auto Protection ("GAP") Refunds: 1-844-860-6962
  • Mortgage Interest Rate Lock Extension Fees: 1-866-385-5008

If you have a problem with Wells Fargo, or with any other business in the District, the Office of the Attorney General can help. We have the authority to investigate businesses who harm or mislead consumers, and we can take legal action against them if necessary.

You can submit a consumer complaint by calling our Consumer Protection Hotline at 202-442-9828, emailing consumer.protection@dc.gov, or submitting a complaint online. You can also learn more about your rights as a consumer and find resources at oag.dc.gov/ConsumerProtection.