Price fixing and bid rigging occur when competitors agree to set prices for goods or services. An effective agreement among sellers results in prices that are artificially high. Artificially high prices can damage government or business buyers. Buyers lose the ability to get the best price that results when there is competition among sellers.
The District of Columbia has competition laws that, like federal laws, prohibit price fixing and bid rigging, along with other anticompetitive behavior. The DC Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is dedicated to enforcing the laws against anticompetitive behavior. We want District citizens and employees to know what they can do to detect and prevent price fixing and bid rigging.
OAG has an ongoing program to educate District employees about price fixing and bid rigging, carried out in cooperation with the US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division. Our lawyers are available to speak to citizen groups and provide similar education.
For more information on price fixing and bid rigging, and suggestions about what DC employees and citizens can do to detect and help prevent anticompetitive practices, select from the following:
- Price Fixing or Bid Rigging Determination
- The Role of the District Employee or Resident
- The Importance of Being Alert for Price Fixing and Bid Rigging
Antitrust and Other Laws Relating to Competition
|District of Columbia Antitrust Act||DC Code §§ 28-4501 to 28-4518|
|Cigarette Sales Below Cost Act||DC Code §§ 28-4521 to 28-4527|
|Retail Service Station Act||DC Code §§ 36-301.01 to 36-305.02|
|Uniform Trade Secrets Act||DC Code §§ 36-401 to 36-410|
Links to Selected Antitrust Act Provisions
- Definition of "Person" and Purpose of Chapter - DC Official Code § 28-4501
- Agreements in Restraint of Trade - DC Official Code § 28-4502
- Monopolization - DC Official Code § 28-4503
- Exclusions from Antitrust Act - DC Official Code § 28-4504
- Private Right of Action - DC Official Code § 28-4508
- Indirect Purchasers - DC Official Code § 28-4509
Contact TTY: 711
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
441 4th Street, NW