Are you having trouble paying your student loans and worried about defaulting? Do you want to change your payment plan but don’t know where to start? There may be free options available to you that can make repayment easier!

The Office of the Attorney General has developed this resource page to help borrowers understand their repayment options. The opportunities available to you depend on the type of student loans you have and your individual circumstances. Learn about your options:

  • Find Your Loans: Get a complete online list of your loans. You can also call the Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243 or (800) 730-8913 (TDD).
  • Repayment Plans: Compare payment options and find out which plan is the best for you.
  • Public Service Loan Forgiveness: Learn more about a federal program that allows borrowers who make 120 qualifying monthly payments (10 years) while working in the public service field to apply to have the balance of their federal student loans forgiven.
  • Repayment Estimator: Enter your loan information and estimate your monthly payments under various repayment plans.
  • How to Consolidate: Learn if consolidating your loans into a single monthly payment is right for you and how to start the consolidation process.
  • Consumer Alert—Student Loan Scams: Repaying your student loans can be an overwhelming, complicated, and an intimidating experience. As many former students find themselves struggling with rising debt, there has been an increase in student loan debt relief scams. Learn the warning signs of a student loan scam and how to protect yourself!
  • Submit a consumer complaint: To report a possible student loan debt relief scam, contact the Office of the Attorney General by phone at (202) 442-9828, by email at, or by filling out our web form. You can also file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
  • You can also visit the Department of Education’s website to learn more about your options or you can call (877) 557-2575 to speak to an Ombudsman.