To find out if you personal information was compromised by the Equifax data breach and to learn steps you can take to protect yourself from identity theft, click here. You can also learn other consumer protection tips from our Identity Theft and Online Privacy resources.
OAG brings court actions to stop deceptive and unconscionable business practices and to obtain compensation for consumers. Although OAG does not represent individual consumers, it helps consumers and merchants to resolve their disputes. In addition, it uses consumer complaint information to determine whether there is a pattern or practice by a business that warrants investigation or possible legal action by OAG.
To reach the Consumer Protection Hotline, call (202) 442-9828 or email [email protected]. The office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 5:00pm.
OAG's Consumer Protection Library
OAG's Consumer Protection Guide: A comprehensive collection of consumer protection tips and information.
- Consumer Complaint Form
- Consumer Help – Agencies and Organizations
- Consumer Information – Links to Websites
- Consumer-Related DC Municipal Regulations
- DC Consumer Protection Laws
- Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
- Foreclosure: Important Information
- Predatory Mortgage Lending
- Resolving and Reporting Your Complaint