The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), part of the US Department of Transportation (US DOT), publishes a course given to law enforcement officers around the country to understand, administer, detect and document field sobriety test. Originally called the DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing course, the newer version is now called Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) manual.
The following SFST Training and ARIDE manuals are available for download and review:
- 2005 NHTSA SFST Manual: Participant Manual (HS 178 R8/06; 189 pgs, PDF)
- 2006 NHTSA SFST Manual: Participant Manual (HS 178 R8/06; 189 pgs, PDF)
- 2013 NHTSA SFST Manual: Participant Manual (R3/13; 353 pgs, PDF)
- 2015 NHTSA SFSA Manual—Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3: Participant Manual (R10/15; 465 pgs, PDF)
- 2013 NHTSA ARIDE Manual: Participant Manual (NHTSA 5/16; 220pgs, PDF)